Pages

2/14/24

Poem for David Sanborn and Me

 

Wake up at sunrise and check for disasters

Tornado near Jacksonville, Chase account overdrawn

Son needs dental surgery, David Sanborn has died

Of prostate cancer, same as me but

I’m not dead yet, the morning sun says I’m still here

Typing until my butt hurts too bad to sit

Such irony. Finally recognized as a writer

And barely able to stay at my desk one-finger typing.

Make the switch to poetry so I can stand up more

Yet still say something, express the joy of living and dying

Though these violent chaotic times while the world comes chasing,

Gives me pain, gives me cancer, gives me a pain in the ass

But only really hurts through those I love

Who need help, who need guidance, who need a gift not a loan

Not reading anymore, afraid to watch the news, underpaid

Overworked, laid off, T-boned, confused, anxious, loose-boweled

Grateful for the love I can give, can share, can barely write about.

 


  10 Questions for Tom Fillion Buy here from Amazon   1.       It seems like you have been writing and self-publishing for years now. I ...